Forrester names Microsoft PowerApps a leader in low-code development platforms
We are thrilled to announce that Forrester has recognized Microsoft PowerApps as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: Low-Code Development Platforms For AD&D Professionals, Q1 2019, and rated strongest on strategy. The demand for low-code platforms is increasing: In Forrester’s survey of global developers, 23% reported using low-code platforms in 2018, and another 22% planned to do so within a year.
Microsoft PowerApps is a high productivity, low-code development platform that enables anyone to build rich web and mobile applications. The platform empowers citizen developers through low-code capabilities, while also featuring sophisticated application development functionality to increase productivity for professional developers and reduce bottlenecks for IT departments.
Large organizations with a variety of app development needs are introducing PowerApps for complex, large-scale deployments. The enterprise-grade security and built-in governance in PowerApps enable rapid and viral adoption without compromising on compliance or security. Citizen developers and business users are empowered with low-code app development capabilities, while IT has oversight and can extend applications easily.
There is growing demand for high-productivity and low-code platforms that accelerate app development, for both citizen developers and professionals alike. This demand is driven by the need for tighter collaboration across IT and business teams, as well as to simplify staffing developer teams in an increasingly competitive job market.
PowerApps has key differentiators that set it apart from others in the market:
- Build and deliver apps for web and mobile without code; including pixel-perfect control over great UX, and powerful integration of forms and processes
- The Common Data Service, an enterprise-grade data platform built into PowerApps that includes rich business logic, security models, and developer extensibility
- Connect seamlessly to 220+ data sources across Microsoft and many third parties
- Customize and extend both Office 365 and Dynamics 365, providing a single platform spanning business apps, productivity apps, and standalone apps
- Azure cloud services to scale from individual productivity to enterprise mission critical line of business applications
- Develop at scale without sacrificing quality, security, or control, leveraging enterprise-grade admin and governance features
The vibrant community of PowerApps users values the platform because they create nimble, effective apps for their unique business needs. Organizations value PowerApps for its enterprise readiness and security, Azure cloud integration, and extensibility. We are continuously amazed by the digital transformation stories from PowerApps customers:
- Virgin Atlantic is using PowerApps, Power BI and Flow to reduce development time for apps and transform their engineering compliance by optimizing the process of analyzing tasks and assign them to managers quickly
- G&J Pepsi-Cola Bottlers is using PowerApps, Power BI and Flow to build mobile apps for store and merchandiser auditing in the field
- American Red Cross is using PowerApps to transform the process that their instructors use to order supplies for their training classes
- The French national railway (SNCF) is using PowerApps, Power BI and Flow to reduce error rates during bogie inspections, and will transform the way 165K employees work
There are exciting things yet to come for PowerApps. For a deeper look at the Power Platform, read this recent blog by James Phillips, Corporate Vice President of the Business Applications Group: The Microsoft Power Platform – Empowering millions of people to achieve more.
Thank you again to the rich community of PowerApps users for your innovation on the platform. We are energized by your imagination, and we cannot wait to see what you create next.
See the full report from Forrester here: The Forrester Wave™: Low-Code Development Platforms For AD&D Professionals, Q1 2019.