The future of Outlook integration for Dynamics 365 and Power Apps customers
Ensuring users can leverage the benefits of Outlook in alignment to their business application is often a key ask for most organizations to increase adoption. Dynamics 365 has always been at the forefront of integration solutions from Dynamic 365 for Outlook (also referred to as Outlook COM Add-in) and more recently with the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook, which provides even better value to users with improved capabilities, reliability, and performance.
With the launch of our Unified Interface we now have more opportunity than ever to improve productivity and enable users to better engage with client information across everyday tools such as Outlook. The benefits of adopting the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook for customers and partners are numerous, including:
- Unified Interface. Dynamics 365 App for Outlook is built on the Unified Interface framework, which uses responsive web design principles to provide an optimal viewing and interaction experience for any screen size, device, or orientation.
- Global search or multi-entity search. Use global search to search for a keyword in multiple entities at the same time. Global search uses the quick find view for the various entities to search for records.
- View and edit forms the same as what you see in the mobile experience.
- Dashboards. View and edit dashboards the same as what you see in the mobile experience.
- Cross platform. Dynamics 365 App for Outlook is built using the modern Office add-ins, and supports Windows, Mac desktop clients, iOS and Android phones, and Outlook web access on all major browsers.
- Centralized deployment and distribution by configuring users to the app, makes it easy to onboard users to App for Outlook.
What are we announcing?
Dynamics 365 App for Outlook is utilized across many organizations and provides better performance and stability than the Outlook COM Add-in. Today we are announcing the deprecation of the Outlook COM Add-in. Customers should make the move prior to October 1, 2020. Microsoft will continue to provide support, security and other critical updates to the Outlook COM Add-in until October 1, 2020.
This announcement applies to online organizations, but we recommend our on-premise customers also take advantage of the benefits of Dynamics 365 App for Outlook and upgrade from the Outlook COM Add-in at the earliest.
For a complete list of all deprecation announcements keep checking this location.
Where can I find more information?
For further information on the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook please review the content pages on the Microsoft documentation site
Please take a look at the latest Playbook to help you plan the next steps of your transition
If you are also planning a move to Unified Interface, we have a collection of related content within the public-facing community site